Are you trying to print from your HP printer but it’s not working? Well! You’ve come to the right place. In this blog, we will discuss some methods that you can use to fix your “HP printer not responding” issue. Mostly such an issue occurs due to temporary glitches like outdated printer drivers, or loose connections and hence it can be fixed by the user itself. But if you don’t find yourself having enough time to go through these hacks, you can also give our HP Printer Customer Support team a call. We are happy to help you in whatever way possible.
Let’s Start With The Causes Of HP Printer Not Responding Issue
It’s okay to experience minor issues with your printer as long as they can be fixed by own. Most of the time, these issues are temporary and get fixed easily by basic troubleshooting. If you are wondering why my HP printer is not responding then you are going to get your answers here right now.
HP printer not responding issues can occur due to various reasons. Before you jump to the troubleshooting section, let’s find out what are the reasons that can cause your printer to not respond. Once you know the cause behind it, you might be able to work on the solution in a better way.
Here are some common reasons that can make your printer not respond:
- Your printer is not connected to the computer properly
- Your printer is not set up or installed correctly.
- HP drivers are missing, corrupted, or outdated
- Your printer’s tray is jammed or does not have enough papers
- The printer ink cartridge is empty
- Printer cartridge not installed properly
How To Fix Printer Is Not Responding Issue?
Below we have mentioned the best possible methods to get rid of the HP printer not responding issue. It can happen due to hardware problems, stuck spooler service, or any of the above-mentioned causes. Let’s try these troubleshooting methods and find out if it helps in any way or not.
Method 1: Check the Connection and Reboot The Printer
To start with whenever you face any issue with your printer, you should go check the printer cables and other external parts right away. Make sure all the cables are connected properly to the printer, computer as well as the power socket. Also, do the below things:
- First of all, shut off your computer and the printer. Unplug all the cables and other external components from the computer and printer. Leave both the devices disconnected and off for a couple of minutes.
- Plug the cables and components back into your computer and printer and restart them.
- If the above steps don’t bring your printer back to a working state, you should try connecting it to another computer and then check if the same issue occurs.
Method 2: Restart The Print Spooler Service
The Print Spooler service manages the print jobs sent by you to the printer. It allows you to send, pause or delete the tasks assigned to your printer. In case it is not updated or experiencing any issue then you can face issues like HP printer not responding. To tackle this problem, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run program.
- Enter msc in the given box and press Enter.
- Find the Print Spooler service in the list shown on your screen.
- Once you find Print Spooler double click on it.
- Select Properties and then click on Stop under the System Status tab.
- At last, click on OK and the print spooler will be disabled.
- All the jobs assigned to your printer will be deleted by disabling the print spooler.
- Now, open the “This PC” folder on your desktop. You can also use the Windows + E command to open the “This PC” window.
- Go to the C drive and open the Windows folder
- Navigate to System 32<Spool<Printers in the Windows folder.
- Press Continue to grant access for accessing the Printer’s folder.
- Now that you are in the “Printers” folder, you need to remove all the files from the folder.
- After that, restart the Print Spooler service again. Make sure to keep the Startup Type set at Automatic.
- Restart your printer
Method 3: Set The Correct Port
If the HP Printer not responding error continues after performing the above solutions, then you should consider checking the printer’s port. Make sure your printer is connected to the correct porta and if it is not then you can correct it by following the steps below:
- Click on the Windows search bar and enter “Printers and Devices”.
- Now open the Printer and Devices tab from the results.
- Navigate to your printer model and right-click on it.
- Select “Properties”.
- You need to check the box that’s next to your printer’s location.
- Now restart your computer and try printing again.
We hope after following these solutions, you are able to fix your “HP printer not responding” issue. You can refer to these steps for any HP Printer irrespective of the type or model. In case you are using your HP printer with a Mac device then continue reading further for solutions.
Solutions to Fix HP Printer Not Responding Tp Mac OS
Trying to print from your MacBook but not getting any response? Here are the solutions that you can try to get rid of your HP printer not responding to Mac issue.
Solution 1: Reset Your Network
- First of all, turn off your printer.
- Leave it off for a couple of minutes and start it again.
- Check your printer screen for any error and see if it is responding now. If the HP Printer not responding issue persists, then continue further.
- Click on the Apple icon and select System Preferences.
- Select Print & Scan under the Hardware
- When you see the list of added printers just click on the ‘–’ icon to delete them all one by one.
- Once done, select the ‘+’ icon and then select Add Printer.
- Click on your HP Printer from the Printer Name
- Now you need to select your Printer model and then the printer details such as the Printer Name, Location, etc will get updated automatically.
- Hit the Add
Once your printer is added successfully, try printing again and check if the printer not responding on Mac issue is resolved or not. You can also reset your printer by pressing the Control key and then select the printer model. Doing this will delete the print jobs in the queue and make your printer run smoothly.
Method 2: Connect Your Printer With USB Cable
If the above method fails to fix your “HP Printer not responding” issue, then the last resort is to connect it with the USB cable. Connect one end of the USB to the printer and another to the MacBooks. Once connected, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Apple icon on your desktop and then select System Preference.
- Choose Print & Scan from the Hardware section.
- Wait as the list of available printers appears and then select your HP Printer model.
- Click on the Add button and try printing a test page.
If you are able to print the test page without any issue, you can print any document as your printer issue is resolved.
Method 3: Update Printer Drivers
Last but not least if your HP Printer not responding issue persists, then you should try updating the printer drivers. Many issues with printing occur due to outdated printer drivers. You can use the built-in system update utility or download and install the latest drivers 123.hp.com/setup. The same solution also applies to Windows PC if the above solutions fail to fix your issue.
We hope you are able to print from your HP printer without any trouble. In case your HP printer not responding issue continues or if you are not able to print due to any other error, then feel free to contact HP Printer Customer Support for assistance. You can talk to our printer experts about your HP printer problem and then we’ll take over it until your printer is back to work. Moreover, you can also refer to our guides for troubleshooting other HP printer errors on your own.